Wednesday, May 9, 2012

burma shave signs

Several things;

i was at Derby party this weekend, celebrating the Kentucky Derby as well as a lovely classmate's birthday (Yay, Bryan!) with fantastic fried chicken and mint juleps; several of us wore derby hats. Somehow conversation turned to Illinois roadsigns regarding gun control (promoting guns). These signs read with a simplistic poem, with a verse on a single rectangular sign posted every few yards along a road. i made the statement that this was an incredibly old style of advertisement, but for the life of me, i could not remember what product the ads promoted. It's Burma Shave, and i put it here because i feel like it's a amusing cultural thing. Okay, it's true, i read too many of my grandparents' magazines as a child.

Other things: NY Times articles regarding older skateboarders, nice. Also, yet another article concerning positive links between exercise and it's effect on brainpower.

1 comment:

  1. I read lots of Reader's Digest in my day. And thanks for the additional evidence that I need to keep kicking my butt on my bike, in the pool, with the kid and whenever I can hit trails again :)

    ReplyDelete